Fort Gratiot Charter Township
Fort Gratiot was an American stockade fort in Fort Gratiot, Michigan, in St Clair County.
The Army constructed Fort Gratiot in 1814 as an outpost to guard the juncture of the St Clair River and Lake Huron. The fort took the name of the engineer supervising its construction, Charles Gratiot. Soldiers occupied Fort Gratiot until 1822 and then abandoned the fort. Lucius Lyon built Fort Gratiot Light north of Fort Gratiot in 1825-1829. The Army then returned from 1828.
Soldiers garrisoned Fort Gratiot intermittently through the American Civil War. The Army abandoned Fort Gratiot in 1879. It was not entirely shut down until 1895.
Pine Grove Park, in Port Huron, occupies part of the fort site. Historians suspect that some houses north of Pine Grove Park began as quarters for officers.
Fort Gratiot Light, the first lighthouse in the state of Michigan was constructed north of Fort Gratiot in 1829 by Lucius Lyon, who later became one of Michigan's first U.S. Senators.
The Fort Gratiot Light marks the entrance to the St Clair River from Lake Huron (going south) in the southern portion of Michigan's Thumb. The light is still active and the grounds are an active Coast Guard facility, but it has recently been handed over to the Port Huron Museum. It is the oldest surviving lighthouse in Michigan. There is also a public beach and park on the property, known as Lighthouse Beach.
Fort Gratiot Lighthouse
Nature Preserve & Scarecrow Saturday
IDX provided courtesy of Realcomp II Ltd. via site owner and the originating MLS listed above, ©2018 Realcomp II Ltd. Shareholders. IDX information is provided exclusively for consumers' personal, noncommercial use and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing. The accuracy of all information, regardless of source, is not guaranteed or warranted. All information should be independently verified.
Updated: 25th March, 2019 1:29 PM.